When is Corn Planting Season?
As spring begins to fade into summer, the days get longer and it is time to start thinking about planting crops, especially corn. Corn should be planted about two weeks after the last frost date in spring. You will also want to make sure you get corn planted as early as possible, mainly because it takes quite a while to grow.
Here are some additional considerations for the corn planting and growing season:
- Colder Climates: If you typically experience colder climates, you will want to make the most out of the warm weather by planting as early as possible. For this reason, you will also want to consider using varieties of corn that mature quickly so that you are able to harvest before fall frost begins.
- Soil Temperatures: For successful germination, the ground temperature will need to be above 60°F. One way to speed up this process in colder areas is to warm the ground with black plastic coverings - where seeds are planted through holes in the covers.
- Extending Harvests: To extend your harvests, it is possible to plant more corn crops a few weeks after planting the first round of corn.
Tips for Planting Corn
When planting corn, there are a few nuances to be aware of so that your crop has the best chance to flourish.
Here are some additional tips for corn planting season:
- Start Seeds Outdoors: It is best to start corn seeds directly in the garden to ensure that the plant’s roots are not disturbed during the transplanting process.
- How to Plant Seeds: Seeds should be planted 4-6” apart and 1½ -2” deep. The different rows of crops should also be about 30-36” apart.
- Water Crops Well: Make sure to water corn heavily after it is planted. This will help it to grow, especially during the warmer months. You Don’t Necessarily Need to Fertilize: If you test your soil, and it is rich in the necessary nutrients, you do not need to add extra fertilizer for your crops to grow well.
For more information regarding the John Deere planting equipment or related products, contact your local John Deere dealer.